Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment in D2L. When students use LockDown Browser to access a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. Quizzes created for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with standard browsers. LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently. The list below highlights some of these differences.
- Modified Toolbar - the condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh, and Stop functions.
- Assessment Mode - assessments are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
- Disabled Controls - all printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
- Links - links to other web servers do not compromise the secure testing environment.
- Blocked Features and Applications - the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed. Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing and network monitoring applications are blocked.
Respondus Monitor is an add-on feature for LockDown Browser that uses the students’ webcam to record students during online, non-proctored quizzes. When this feature is enabled for a quiz, students are required to use a webcam and microphone with LockDown Browser. After the quiz is complete, the instructor can review details of the assessment and the recorded videos.
For additional training on LockDown Browser or Respondus Monitor, please register for a free training webinar from Respondus.
Preparing a Quiz with LockDown Browser
- Create the quiz in D2L.
- Open the LockDown Browser Dashboard to view a list of the quizzes available in the course. Quizzes labeled with “Required” require students to use the LockDown Browser. Quizzes labeled with “Not Required” do not require students to use LockDown Browser.
- To enabled or disable LockDown Browser for a quiz, select “Settings” from the options menu to the left of the quiz title.
- Select the desired option. If you add a password, LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided password before beginning the quiz.
- Review and adjust the desired Advanced Options. For additional information on these settings, select the “[explain]” link that follows each setting.
Using Respondus Monitor
- To require that students use a webcam during the exam, select “Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.”
- Select the items to be included in the Startup Sequence. These are the steps a student most complete prior to the start of the exam. Most settings are optional.
- To give students the option to take the quiz with a webcam or in a live proctored testing lab, select the proctored lab option under Advanced Settings and provide a quiz password. This password should be provided to the exam proctor.
Reviewing Webcam Videos
Respondus Monitor is intended to be a deterrent for cheating, but it is up to the instructor to determine the level of review warranted for each student attempt.
If students were required to use Respondus Monitor for a quiz, instructors can access information about the quiz session and review the recorded videos from the LockDown Browser Dashboard in the course.
- Select the options menu for the quiz in the LockDown Browser Dashboard and choose “Class Results.”
- The class roster will display to show the quiz date, time, duration, review priority, and grade for the quiz. Click the “[+]” to expand the section for a student.
- The details of the Startup Sequence and exam session will be shown in thumbnails. Click on a thumbnail to view the video from the time indicated. Videos can be marked as reviewed or have comments added by the instructor.
We encourage faculty to share the Taking a Quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor guide with their students.